Chatting w/ Ed and Crazy Ideas

And no, not Ed from Bebop.

===
Mushroom (10:28:25 PM): So how are things aty the "elite" site? :D
Obvious (10:28:35 PM): warm and fuzzy
Obvious (10:29:02 PM): we're all just young egotist after all
Mushroom (10:29:20 PM): I don't go there very often, I just rather disgusted with the whole thing
Obvious (10:29:30 PM): i started replying to paul, since i know him
Mushroom (10:29:33 PM): and i can't type either
Obvious (10:30:46 PM): i keep hoping norm dunne will join it
Mushroom (10:31:11 PM): I'm going to get Amfan to join under another name
Obvious (10:31:25 PM): cool!
Mushroom (10:31:54 PM): I forget, are you on staff there?
Obvious (10:32:17 PM): hahahahahaha
Obvious (10:32:19 PM): hold on a sec
Obvious (10:32:22 PM): HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
Obvious (10:32:34 PM): uh.... bob prolly wouldn't elect me dogcatcher anymore
Obvious (10:32:43 PM): i am most certainly not on staff
Mushroom (10:33:25 PM): OK, thought so. They had a whole discussion on "balance" as far as rating different styles of essays.
Mushroom (10:34:21 PM): They talked a good thread, but when it comes down to it, if it isn't their way and good only for Trains, it's no good.
Obvious (10:34:37 PM): 'we've got to be sure every essay has some critique in the review comments to prevent it seeming like they're rubber stamped"
Obvious (10:34:46 PM): "only good for Trains?"
Obvious (10:34:55 PM): whats that supposed to mean
Mushroom (10:35:00 PM): That type of writing
Obvious (10:35:11 PM): Stuff that is....
Obvious (10:35:17 PM): you mean to say
Obvious (10:35:19 PM): they think
Obvious (10:35:22 PM): their standards are higher?
Mushroom (10:36:17 PM): Dave sent in an essay that read good for a general population reading, like an in flight magazine. They couldn't recognize that as a style and tore it to ribbons
Obvious (10:36:40 PM): hah
Obvious (10:36:44 PM): brilliant
Obvious (10:37:07 PM): i dont know if i ever saw it
Mushroom (10:37:07 PM): The arrogance level is getting quite high over there
Mushroom (10:37:25 PM): It got rejected and never made it public
Obvious (10:37:28 PM): i have to say that i bet they rejected it more because of the applicant than the quality
Mushroom (10:39:38 PM): The reviewers have a rather narrow view of what is acceptable
Mushroom (10:40:18 PM): They tore up Misko's grammer until Misko and Bob stamped on them
Obvious (10:40:39 PM): i enjoyed their comments on Misko's work that made it public
Mushroom (10:41:08 PM): Yeah, shows how much they think of themselves.
Obvious (10:41:24 PM): He's got more experience than any of them combined
Mushroom (10:42:26 PM): I'm the only one on the review team that actually puts words and pictures together. I think it's called an editor. yeah it's video, but the concept is the same.
Mushroom (10:43:03 PM): And you sure have to learn different styles
Mushroom (10:43:16 PM): and how to work with them
Obvious (10:43:30 PM): They're taking after Hemphill
Obvious (10:43:34 PM): "my way or the highway!"
Mushroom (10:43:41 PM): yep
Obvious (10:45:47 PM): i figure it'll become a big headache
Mushroom (10:45:49 PM): I've just backed away from the whole mess. RRF is getting very weird. The only place I go regularly is the model forums
Mushroom (10:46:36 PM): It's a shame
Mushroom (10:47:05 PM): I'm about ready to go back and hang out on Delphi, it's still there
Obvious (10:47:13 PM): really?
Obvious (10:47:20 PM): the old site?
Mushroom (10:47:26 PM): yep
Obvious (10:47:38 PM): i didn't know that, i thought that was a paid format
Mushroom (10:48:19 PM): they tried to make it one, but the old free sites are still there. people post on it from time to time too
Mushroom (10:50:53 PM): http://forums.delphiforums.com/railroad/messages
Obvious (10:51:53 PM): 'coure technically bob still owns it, lol
Mushroom (10:52:21 PM): yeah. wonder when the last time he checked it was
Obvious (10:52:48 PM): looks like 2002
Mushroom (10:53:02 PM): whew
Mushroom (10:54:07 PM): good grief, I joined there in 1998
Mushroom (10:54:46 PM): been with Bob for a long time
Obvious (10:55:11 PM): i joined RRF in July 2002
Obvious (10:55:19 PM): Just after the 4th of July
Obvious (10:55:29 PM): got sent there by Chief Jim
Mushroom (10:56:56 PM): I followed Bob over after he opened the new place. I'm member 23 or something like that
Obvious (10:57:25 PM): i think i was something in the 200s
Obvious (10:57:39 PM): its where i "met" brian
Mushroom (10:58:11 PM): Yeah, it's been good...to bad it's going to hell
Obvious (10:58:29 PM): all good things come to an end, I guess.
Obvious (10:58:39 PM): no other answer really fits
===

All this got me to being nostalgic for the old days again. Call me crazy, but for a while, I contemplated the idea of creating another forum, and trying to get back all the old RRF gang, and recapture that feel.

Thats prolly a really stupid idea tho.

2 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 05:18:00 AM, Blogger railohio said...

Forums don't last for ever. They have a life cycle to them. They start out small and build up over time. At some point their is always, always an explosion of sorts and a downward spiral. Trainorders. Photo-Dicks. RailroadForums. And soon enough RailroadPhotoEssays. Don't even try it, or you'll end up hated like Bob, too.

~Dev

 
At 11/11/2005 12:27:00 AM, Blogger Chesapeake said...

I see Im not alone in my thoughts... shocking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home