Twilight zone baby!!

That's the title of a thread over at RRF that further exemplifies why the place has turned into one giant kindergarten, where the sake of being nice and not hurting anyone's feelings is more important that having any standards at all, no matter how low.

In that thread, Abbs posted some really crappy "oops I pressed the shutter" blur shots. Okay, fine. But he extolls them as art. Umm... okay... now he's disrespected the efforts of people who truly are artists, and put hard work into their art. But it went beyond that as people fawned over his "great photo".

No, no, no. A thousand times no.

Then my good friend Devious stepped up to the plate.

"(Devious): I just replied to abbs
(Devious): Someone took a stand against stupidity"


To quote Weebl, "and how!":

"
Originally Posted by abbsbox

But that's not the point here.. Just wanted to know what you guys thought and what you think I need to do to make twilight shots like this into a knockout.


Making a mistake in the field does not make on an "artist" by any stretch of the imagination. When an artist starts with a blank canvas or unexposed film they have an idea they want to convey to the future viewers. So, in saying that, how did you approach these two scenes before you took the photos? What did you do differently to ensure these results. Or was this "art" simply the result of poor planning with the camera?

The whole photo doesn't need to be blurry to convey speed or motion. To the contrary, the background should be still and the subject should be the only thing that blurred. Looking at that photo I can't tell if you were in a car that was moving or if the train itself was the only thing in motion -- if it even was moving at the time.

You want to make them knockout shots? Get a tripod and learn how to use it. Learn how how master shutter speeds and aperture and how to use them to create the effect you want. A mistakenly blurry photo is no substitute for "art" or any sort."


The post is strikingly similar to my own slightly grouch reply to Rosco P. Dimwit, before I left the place. (See below.)

It's the strangest thing. It's like they live in a fantasy world of their own, and if you introduce basic concepts to them like success and failure and common sense, it melts them, like the witch in the Wizard of Oz.

1 Comments:

At 10/08/2005 07:24:00 PM, Blogger Obvious said...

For posterity, here is Devious' post in the staff section:

My recent reply to abbs wasn't entirely out of the blue. It was inspired by a conversation earlier today with a former staff member (who wishes to remain anonymous). As much as I hate to think it, he's absolutely right.

Anon: RRF has gone soooo downhill
Anon: nobody will even stand up for the most basic idea of quality, because it might offend someonw
devious: And how!
Anon: it just struck me
Anon: it's like kindergarten!
Anon: "Oh isn't that nice, Andrew. What a great effort!"

Bob, you've always kidded me about posting to the forums and gallery here instead of RailPictures.net. And I've always maintained that it wasn't worth the hastle of posting to both places. This is exactly why I haven't started posting here, even if I've all but stopped posting at the other place. The crap has taken over because of the PC attitude of the staff. All of the great photographers have vanished. Sure, my friends and I are partly to blame since we stopped posting as well. But when nldunne is lecturing about wht he read in a book one time and abbsbox is posting that and nobody stands up with an alternate opinion it makes the reasons for the exodus more clear. I've been trying to post more photos but nobody seems to be interested in clear, concise photo essays. I can't complain too much about nto getting looked at since I don't look at most posts -- only those from my friends get a click anymore. So I don't see much use in posting more and more photos -- I usually do it only when I'm really bored -- if I'm not going to get looks from more people for them. And at the same time I'm always afraid of posting what I really think about a thread because I'm afraid it'll cause World War III either among the members or just the staffers. I think it's time we wake up to what's been going on a little more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home